Saturday 4 April 2020

On the Table- Isolation Blues

Like a lot of people in this tough time, I've been isolating at home for the past few weeks. While it's meant I can work on putting out blog content and hobby, it's also meant that gaming has completely ceased for the foreseeable future and a lot of things I had planned to work on (primarily battle reports) are simply not possible. I have however made the most of the enforced hobby time and at least have something to show for it, making a dent in my backlog and continuing to power forward and keep my spirits up!

First of all, I've been working through some stuff for Star Wars Legion. Since my early childhood I've loved Star Wars and especially the Rebellion, so I finally decided to jump in and get some Legion stuff to work on an army. Luke was painted a few months back, but over the last fortnight I've finished Chewbacca, Han Solo and a unit of Rebel Troopers as well to kickstart the army and get it closer to fully painted.

Next up I've been working on Warcry. I painted up my Chimera a few weeks ago and now I've been working on an actual warband, with the Untamed Beasts being the one I've chosen to play primarily as I love their models. I'm planning on writing a bit of Warcry content in the near future so stay tuned on that front!

More recently I've pulled out a few odds and ends for Malifaux to try and get through some of the half-painted keywords I have. The Desperate Mercenaries are the last of what I need painted for the Mercenary keyword and next up I have 2 Freikorps Engineers which are half of the Freikorps models I need to paint (the other 2 being Hannah and Arik, both of which are in the next planned Malifaux batch)

To finish, what I'm working on at the moment. The last few pieces of my Blood Bowl Skaven team are also being worked on, but now that the 7s league I was playing in has been indefinitely delayed its taken the wind out of my sails a bit there. I still very much want to get them done, but I'm not finding myself getting motivated to do it as much as other things and as such they're still in a state where they need a lot of work to be finished. I've got the previously mentioned Freikorps Engineers and an AT-RT for Legion on the desk as well both nearly complete, aiming to get them done over the next couple nights so I can start painting other things.


In general we are all living in some strange and difficult times, but it is the perfect time to band together and support who we can however we can. I've been having a few group calls lately while painting to keep my sanity and get things done, and it's a really great way of keeping up the sense of community while being stuck at home so I would really recommend it in any way you can. Another thing I have been looking into a lot over the past few days is the Vassal system to play games virtually, mainly Arena Rex and Malifaux so I can do some rudimentary battle reports and keep gaming, but I'm also looking at Tabletop Simulator for Batman games so that's a possibility in the future.

Best wishes and good health to everyone, we'll get back to gaming soon enough and it'll feel so much better after this break.

No comments:

Post a Comment